Fireboy and Watergirl 3: In the Ice Temple is the third game in the Fireboy and Watergirl series. Much like the first two games, it involves helping the two elemental beings, Fireboy and Watergirl, navigate through the rooms of a magical temple full of puzzles and hazards, and can be played with either one or two players. This game reprises all the mechanics of the previous Fireboy and Watergirl games, but introduces some new gimmicks involving ice and snow.
- Fireboy's Controls
- A/W: Move left/right
- D: Jump
- Watergirl's Controls
- Left/Right Arrow Key: Move left/right
- Up Arrow Key: Jump
Fireboy and Watergirl 3 features a series of levels spread out across a map; to unlock a new level, you have to complete a level that's adjacent to it on the map. The goal in each level is to get both Fireboy and Watergirl to their respective door at the end of the level; this can be done by having two players to control each character separately or by having just one player control them both simultaneously. Other optional objectives include completing the level as quickly as possible and collecting all the diamonds in the level; completing these goals will earn you a better rank for a level. All levels contain puzzles that require Fireboy and Watergirl to work together and interact with various objects to make their way to the exit.
- Standard Level: A normal level where you just have to get Fireboy and Watergirl to the exit.
- Synergy Level: Similar to a Standard Level, but structured in such a way that you have to move them both at the same time in order to complete the level in the shortest amount of time.
- Diamond Level: A level where the goal is to collect the coveted Green Diamond first before finishing the level.
- Red Diamond: A diamond that can only be collected by Fireboy.
- Blue Diamond: A diamond that can only be collected by Watergirl.
- Green Diamond: A bigger diamond that can be collected by either character and only appears in Diamond Levels.
- Lava: A hazard that kills Watergirl on contact, but Fireboy can walk through it just fine.
- Water: A hazard that kills Fireboy on contact, but Watergirl can walk through it just fine.
- Black Oil: A hazard that kills both characters on contact.
- Platform: An object that can act as either a platform or a door, and can be moved by activating it.
- Fan: Blows your characters upwards.
- Box: A box that can be pushed around and used as a stepping stone.
- Mirror Box: Same as a normal Box, but also reflects light.
- Seesaw: A big seesaw that can be tipped one way or another by having one of your characters stand on one end.
- Lever: Activates objects when flipped.
- Button: Activates objects as long as a character is standing on it.
- Light Shiner: Shines a beam of light that can be used to activate objects.
- Light Detector: Activates objects as long as light is being shined on it.
- Mirror: Reflects light. Some Mirrors can be moved in a 90-degree angle by a Lever or Button, but others can be adjusted at more precise angles by using a Mirror Slider.
- Mirror Slider: Can be pushed left or right to adjust the angle of a Mirror.
- Snow: Appears on flat surfaces and slopes. On flat ground, snow makes Fireboy move faster but makes Watergirl move slower. On slopes, snow lets Watergirl climb the slopes more easily but prevents Fireboy from climbing them. Neither character can jump while walking on cnow.
- Ice: Created by hitting a pool of water with a Blue Light. Has the same properties as snow.
- Blue Light: Turns water into ice.
- Red Light: Turns ice into water.